Suramya's Blog

Visit suramya.com Who am I?

June 22, 2012

Bug in FB Publication script fixed + Other Blog woes

Filed under: Knowledgebase,Website Updates — Suramya @ 11:56 PM

Fixed a small bug in the Facebook publication script that I had written, basically if the first para was over 1000 characters the post would fail. At first I thought I would just do a substr and limit the character to 900, but that didn’t work for some reason and I got some really weird posts on FB. But it looks like its working fine now and the last post came up on on Facebook. :)

There was another issue which I had faced a couple of days ago on the blog and wanted to document. Basically whenever I tried posting any comment or new post on the blog I would get a really weird error message that made absolutely no sense:

Are you sure you want to do this? Please try again.

After spending a couple of hours on the web over a period of few days trying to get things working, I found a post explaining how to turn DEBUGGING ON in WordPress (See below for instructions) and once I enabled that I found out that the DB I was using was over the max size my hosting company allowed so all inserts were failing, removed junk from the DB (Stats etc) and I was good to go.

To enable debugging follow these steps:

  • Open wp-config.php located in the wordpress blog’s root directory
  • Add the following line to the file:
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
  • Save the file and Exit

Once you finish debugging you should either comment out the above line or delete it from the file, otherwise a lot of debug information will be shown to your visitors and that is something you don’t really want.

Hope this helps others.

- Suramya

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress